Using a pen and un-lined white paper, sketch the layout of the room. Don't worry about drawing to scale.
Using a tape measure, measure the entire length of each wall, corner to corner.
After the entire length of the walls has been measured and recorded, measure each wall in detail:
- Starting in the corner, measure the distance to the casing of the first window or door.
- Next, measure the width of the window or door (include casings/framings).
- Proceed to measure all items on the length of the wall. Items important to include are: doors, windows, built ins, radiators, electrical outlets, sconces, etc.
- Repeat this with the remaining walls.
Once you have completed the detailed measurements, add up the detailed measurements on a calculator and verify that they add up to the measurement of the entire length of the wall. If the number is off by more than 5 inches, quickly re-measure the length of the wall and details to resolve the errors.
Make a note of the following additional measurements:
- Window Height
- Door Height
- Ceiling Height
- Fireplace: Hearth Length & Width, Mantel Height
Scan and e-mail your drawing to us with all the information included from the steps above.
Take note of all ceiling light fixtures and approximately indicate existing placement on your drawing.